Assessment, Do you feel your child's cyber mark was comparable to their face to face marks? Yes
• I do feel it was comparable. From the 4 classes that my kids have taken, I do find that they have to do alot more work and assignments that in class work. It is not necessarily the easiest way to get a credit in a class.
• No, they are better. He was being bullied at public school and this has been a great experience for him, He is able to concentrate and his marks have improved dramatically. He is no longer having to spend each day living in fear.
• No, Raquel's cyberschool mark will likely be much lower than the marks in her regular high school classes. I found that the cyberschool structure allows children too much freedom to move at their own speed. Cyberschool students should be monitored much more closely. I will never allow one of my children to take cyberschool again. In Raquel's case, she consistently has an 80% to 85% average in her high school classes. But when it came to cyberschool, she fell behind to such a degree that she actually had to take the same course twice, and I'm not sure that she will have a very good grade when she finally finishes her course. When she first registered to take the course in Fall of 2010, she told me halfway through the course that she didn't think she would be able to finish. I contacted Mr. Remizowski and withdrew her from the class. When she registered for the same course in February of 2011, I spoke with a guidance counsellor (Mrs. Gordon) at Holy Cross and she monitored Raquel. When it became evident that Raquel was falling behind, she told Raquel that she would have to stay in school every day during Period 5 (normally a spare) to work on her cyberschool course. I also got in touch with the instructor for the course (Mr. Chateigner). Although Mr. Chateigner was helpful, he could only do so much, such as send out an email reminder if she hadn't been active on cyberschool for 9 days.
• In most classes, I think they are comparable. I would like to comment that classes that heavily rely on essay type responses and student research I think are more University level than high school. Two courses that stand out are Bio 20 and Eng 20. My son likes Eng A30 better because there is more teaching and example with each assignment. More time to complete assignments and more feedback with assignments. Bio20 heavily relies on students doing research and I find that my son gets overwhelmed by the amount of info available on the internet whereas a specific assigned reading on a subject that makes sure that he is getting a grade level understanding of the concepts is more beneficial. I appreciate that he is getting essay experience but they are very time consuming and I would like to see fewer of them and some longer breaks between them. It will take my son four years to complete his grade 10-12 with the amount of time required for each course. These two stand out as taking twice the time we allotted for each course to try and finish 24 credits in three years.
• yes- however, we both felt there was a lot of unnessary work seemingly added to take up the time of the Student. Perhaps this is added to justfy the fact that these kids don't "attend" classes. She spent alot of time doing her Cyber School work- perhaps in the future a Student on Cyber School might be marked on their "attendence" on line?? My daughter is in the French Immersion Program at Holy Cross and the French kids are bombarded with work in every single area, not able to enjoy the full High School experience and Cyber School was no different. Perhaps the teacher could actually "meet" the student and go over their marks/comments from other teachers in the past?? That being said, we both felt Cyber School was a good experience.
• My kids are obtaining higher marks in their cyber course than they would through the classroom. In their situation I have been tutoring them through math. I help them to complete each and every question. In the classroom I feel my kids do not ask for enough face to face help. However, they do tend to rely on me too much to help them through the course. I probably don't challenge them as a teacher would. I myself am very motivated and would have loved access to cyber school back in my school days. My kids aren't as motivated and I am constantly prompting them to go on line.
• Yes but it would be beneficial to have cyber school open during summer months to facilitate furthering marks in specific subjects.
• Yes
• Yes. It was possibly a little higher than his current math mark but Nicholas worked extra hard and repeated some assignments quite a few times until he felt he had mastered the work. In a class settting you do not that much control over your pace - ie he moved quickly through some areas but spent extra time in other areas.
• My daughter is doing way better than her face to face marks. She has low self-esteem and doesn't enjoy the big classroom. She is really excelling at cyberschool. I wish she could do more classes via cyberschool.
• I do not think his midterm mark was fair. We did not know he was behind and he did not have access to his online calendar. He constantly received a java script error.
• Yes.
• I think my child does better in face to face classroom teaching simply because questions can be very quickly answered or explanations clarified. Probably my child would have asked more questions in a class setting because it is easier to get instant feedback.
• Yes, I think the marks were comparable.
• Yes.
• Yes
• yes
• my children are completely homeschooled.
• Yes...but one thing I wonder about it is the amount of assignments to complete a cyber course. It seems to me like there is a greater work load. That doesn't seem quite right but I am not sure if you can do anything about that. I think the hours of work put into a cyber course exceed that of a face to face class.
• I don't know what their final marks will be but my Grade 10 son taking Accounting and my Grade 8 son taking Math should both end up with a mark of 90+ which is usually where their math marks are. Therefore, yes I do feel that the cyber marks are comparable to face-to-face marks.
• No. The Chemistry 30 is way too difficult for a lot of students, and I am certain the drop out/non-completion rate must be high. We had to hire a tutor for our daughter as work was too difficult and upset her too much. Even the tutor we hired said the work is so difficult, she would have dropped out of the class by now, and that if she had to do it alone, it would make her cry! So right now my daughter and her tutor are furiously working to try figure things out in order to compete the course by the deadline. (The tutor is an honors university student that received awards for her chemistry marks in high school). So that tells me that the cyber mark/work is NOT comparable to a face to face mark. I would never recommend this course to anyone!
• Yes
• yes
• yes, although because of typos she could have had higher marks
• yes
• no comment
• It's much better than his face to face mark. I like the fact that he must complete an assignment to move on to the next one, and that everything he needs is online. It's very easy for him to navigate and he's doing well, for once.
• Yes
• My eldest found that Christian Ethics - I think she took in Grade 10 and 11 - as with band and Honours English and Math she could not take in a classroom and after discussing with class mates she did way more work. More hours needed - more essays - exams way more in depth.
• He seems to have higher marks with the classes he takes face to face. I think it has a lot to do with motivation and deadlines. He seems to be a procrastinator.
• Yes, I believe that the mark was very comparable with her other marks.
• Yes. My child thoroughly enjoyed taking this class on line.
• So, they were some what lower but this could be due her lack of effort. She mentioned that some material was hard to understand exactly what the teacher was looking for.
• No. He seems to need the face-to-face support and structure to be successful.
• My daughter has not received her Cyber mark yet.
• Yes - I think she was fairly assessed. There was some difficulty in "handing in" some assignments. For example, she was instructed in assignment 3.2 to hand in a marketing package (box) for a new product she designed. She later learned that she should have just taken a picture or video and should have sent it my email.
• Marks are slightly lower. Multiple choice nature of some exam questions was not clear
• "Yes, we think that his cyber mark so far (he is midway through this course) has been comparable to an in-class mark. That being said, I know that Erik has put at least as much time and effort into his cyber CE course content as his ""live"" classes.
• Additionally, we want to thank you for giving Erik the chance to take this course online. It will assist in future scheduling greatly. As well, I have really enjoyed the discussions we had occasionally with respect to the Old Testament passages he had to read and think about. Erica Florizone"
• Yes i think they were comparable in the sense of time put into and understanding of the course content.
• Yes
• "Yes,
• I was a bit concerned about e-studies and whether it would be suitable, however I feel it has been a very positive experience for my son and I would recommend it to anyone in a similar situation.
• Thank You!"
• yes
• "Not certain because this is our son's first cyber school class.
• Right now our biggest concern is what happens to his cyber school in the event of a strike or job action? Will it follow the same protocols as being in a classroom? The reason why we ask is because our son does much of his work in the evening after a full day at school. We hope he will be able to continue on and complete this course. He has invested a lot of his time in this course to date."
• Yes
• Yes.
• I would say lower for the most part. I'm not sure if this is due to work ethic on my daugher's part as she is not always as self motivated as she should be. However, I also have heard from her that the classes have a lot of work, a lot of assignments, and I'm not sure how the work load compares with what a face to face class would have. I guess I would like more information about how work load between the two differs.
• I think my child did better in cyber math.
• Very comparable if not better. I believe cyber school puts the onus on my child to achieve instead of blaming outside sources for unsatisfactory grades.
• Yes, sometimes it was better and sometimes not quite as high, but generally the same or better
• better
• "We're home based educated and have nothing else to compare to. As our children have done quite well over the years since the beginning.....what's not to like. Over the years we've heard layout and content complaints but it seems to have gotten better over the years. Adequate feedback on errors is essential for the students to understand where they went wrong. Some are better than others.
• This program is far superior to the early days of Saskatchewan Correspondence. Very happy to date."
No comments:
Post a Comment