Thursday, 5 March 2009

Ten years ago...

Virtual School: Impressions ( January 2000 )

Wow! Where to start? Overwhelmed ! Exactly what is this all about ? Internet web pages? HTML? WebCT? What is Darren talking about? Dave Elder actually understands this guy when he is talking?
Major learning curve ahead ! Needless to say the first month of this project was one that not only had me excited in being involved in such a project but also one that at times had me feeling somewhat apprehensive. Apprehensive in the sense that I was out of my element and that my computer knowledge was limited in being able to accomplish the task that lies ahead. Even though we did not have a place we could call home and the hardware had not as yet arrived the use of the computer in the Science area and the four Macs ( "Boo!" as Darren would say or "Cool!" would be Dave's thoughts on those machines) in the art area served a very useful purpose. First of all I was able to see and sort of figure out what WebCT was all about and how such a program would help me in putting the Physics course on line. Although a great deal of time is still needed for me to become familiar enough with WebCT to be able to accomplish as to what I think needs to be done to deliver a good physics course on line, I at least now know what is possible. Probably the biggest benefit gained during this month from a technical and course design perspective was the ability to browse the internet and find physics related sites. Some of these sites provided me with certain insights into how certain concepts in physics could be presented. Also certain images, and simulations found at some of these sites I will be able to incorporate into my course design to allow for a better development of key concepts. Links to certain physics sites that I found during this time will also be a useful tool for students as they learn about certain topics. The conference we attended in Saskatoon put on by the SSTA was useful in that it provided me with the opportunity to gain an insight into what is happening out there with regards to virtual schooling, particularly in places like Alberta. Although we did not gain any specific knowledge regarding the courses we are designing we did become aware of some of the issues related to virtual schooling, many of which are still to be resolved, particularly here in Saskatchewan. It was made obvious to me that many people are very apprehensive about the delivery of course in a virtual school setting but were willing to allow for such a service. Policies and controls to be established later as SaskED and some of the other players want a hand in all of this but as to exactly what that should be nobody seems to know for sure. As for our project we were assured by our administration that "full steam ahead" and not to worry about all the other groups or people as they are playing "catch up". As mentioned above the learning curve for me has been and will continue to be a large one to be able to complete this task. However, I realized very quickly that the support provided would be sufficient. The release time is a must and a valuable resource to allow a person to learn and in turn focus on the task at hand. Secondly the technical and computer knowledge support provided by Darren and Dave including their patience has been without question the most valuable resource that a so-called "course designer" like myself appreciates. Knowing what I now know and what needs to be accomplished would be an impossible task without the support of release time and advice from a person with the technical expertise and the vision of Darren. The other thing that I have found very rewarding has been the comradery and team approach towards this project. Had this not been the case I would have found this task very onerous and rather difficult to complete, particularly if I had to go at this alone. Sharing one's ideas, many challenges and even the frustrations one experiences with others that are very supportive makes life much simpler. In closing it is important to note that for my the challenge is still there and though I am still somewhat apprehensive I am very excited as to what we are about to accomplish.

Report filed, February 26th, 2000 Tony Antonopoulos

No comments: